decoratve stripe
OIRT logo
yellow bar link to video link to instruction link to research link to software link to about us yellow bar spacer
various images of technology
Rutgers seal

how do I...?

what is...?

what’s going on?

who can help?

CTO's website

training

The Office of Instructional and Research Technology Blog

Monday, May 18, 2009

Top 10 Disappointing Technologies

Sometimes, technology isn't all it's cracked up to be. More often than we'd like, some new technology that is expected to change the face of IT simply....doesn't. PC Authority gives a review of some such technologies in the recent article, Top 10 Disappointing Technologies. Their ranking:

Honorable Mentions:
  • Biometrics
  • Ubuntu
Top 10:
10. Virtual Reality
9. Alternative Search Engines
8. Voice Recognition
7. Apple Lisa
6. 10GB Ethernet
5. FireWire
4. Bluetooth
3. Itanium
2. Zune
1. Windows Vista
Some of this surprises me a bit. As much as I hate to admit it, VR is ranked lower than I expected. I want VR to work, I really do, but sadly, it's simply not there yet. There's a lot of hype, but for the most part, it doesn't really follow through. On the other side, I was not expecting Bluetooth on that list, especially at number 4. Sure, my Bluetooth headset for my phone doesn't work as well as I'd like, but I've never had a problem with file transfers and, overall, I find it a handy tool to have.

What are your thoughts? Does any of this surprise you? Is there anything that you think should have made the list, but didn't?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone really given Voice Recognition a fair try? It doesn't take long to get up to speed on straight typing (but switching windows is not easy, which I think is the problem at this point).

But I took Dragon Naturally Speaking and headphones with me on a laptop recently, and I was so glad I did - I almost completely avoided that horrible laptop keyboard. And I amazed my relatives.

May 19, 2009 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue tooth is only disappointing because of how it is choked due to fear of infringements of all sorts. Companies don't want your cell phone to download tunes via blue tooth so your phones tend to be very limited in their ability to use the blue tooth they come with. It has so many possibilities but the big guys decided it was getting in the way of them making money and so it was choked off.. Apparently i hear the ipod touch comes blue tooth ready- but needs to be unchoked, or "unlocked" as they call it via a $10 buck upgrade. IF you invested in an ipod touch, your'e not REALLY going to care about something like that, but i feel that theres been so much limitation placed upon the technology's capabilities that companies get bold in new ways to charge you for stuff that i feel should be standard equipment by now.

May 23, 2009 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Phil Gillhaus said...

I'm surprised VR is on the list. I guess those of us who were inoculated against VR hype by the VR products of the nineties (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Virtual_Boy) have more realistic expectations of VR technology. I'm pretty impressed with the Nintendo Wii and the upcoming Project Natal for the Xbox. It's no holodeck, but we're getting there.

June 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM  
Anonymous lot-things said...

i agree that VR should be in better position

September 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM  
Anonymous TENS Unit said...

Like other commenters, I'm a bit taken aback at the inclusion of Voice Recognition on this list, which I think has the potential to grow and improve, but I think I do agree with #9: Alternative Search Engines, for the most part. However, I'm a bit confused by #10: Virtual Reality? What exactly is this referring to- can anyone enlighten me?

August 25, 2011 at 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home