decoratve stripe
OIRT logo
yellow bar link to video link to instruction link to research link to software link to about us yellow bar spacer
various images of technology
Rutgers seal

how do I...?

what is...?

what’s going on?

who can help?

CTO's website

training

The Office of Instructional and Research Technology Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Mobile technologies-or How to get students to use their cell phones for learning

Mobile learning is one of the new buzzwords circulating among teachers these days. It involves using cell phones, iPods, and portable gaming platforms, devices that most students already have, to encourage anywhere, anytime learning.

The Sesame Workshop recently published a report about using mobile technologies in learning. I think that it contains some really interesting examples of what can be done with these technologies.

I hope to try using some cell phone apps later this semester and during the fall. One tool, gFlash, will let me create flash cards that my students can use on their cell phones. I hope that it works . . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful idea. When I was in high school, I made a primitive flashcard-ish system for my TI-83 programmable calculator. It proved to be too tedious to update and took too much memory on the device. Texas Instruments made a flashcard app for their later brands of calculators. I have no idea how well those work, however.

-- random RU student who happened on through Sakai

March 9, 2009 at 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about mobile learning, I worked at a kids summer camp and an after-school enrichment program for children that utilized Ipads in many of their programs. Even young children who were no older than 7 years old would use Ipads send e-mails, during study hall listen to audio books, and read pdfs all using the ipad. I think mobile learning is being expanded even among elementary education. The instructor at the learning center felt that when you can literally touch the knowledge it made it more interactive. Also as part of disciplinary time out procedure the instructor would take away the Ipad. One of the concepts was to link the Ipad with something that was fun and educational. When students were allowed out of timeout and back into the class to participate they were very happy to start learning since the Ipad basically made learning fun. I no longer work at the Excelsior Learning Center, since I am now going to grad school in Barcelona, but if anyone is interested in the mobile learning experience that i observed you can take a look at http://www.excelsiorlearningcenter.com.

June 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home